Is Microsoft Office 2016 the one you’ve been waiting for?
Microsoft recently released Office 2016, an upgraded suite of office productivity products that the software giant is touting for its improved collaboration process, ability to work across multiple devices, smart Outlook inbox, better security measures, and integrates perfectly with Windows 10, the new operating system that was released in July.
You can read Microsoft’s blog announcing the Office 2016 release here
You can also download Quick Start guides for each of the MS Office 2016 properties here
in order to get an introduction to the desktop version of Office, Mobile Office and Office for Mac. This includes guides for Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook and OneNote.
We have included below a round-up of the new or improved features announced as part of the Microsoft Office 2016 launch, so you can get a flavor of what you can expect from the update.
The New Office – What’s In It For You?
Built for Teamwork
One of the goals of Office 2016 is to address the sometimes messy and confusing middle steps that occur when collaboration is needed. So instead of relying on Office just for the start and the end of a project, presentation or document, you can seamlessly work right in Office throughout the entire process. It’s really a change from a set of individual office apps we are all familiar with to a connected set of apps and services designed to work the way you do. And here’s how:
Real-time co-authoring in Word
– see what others are writing, as it’s happening. Available now in Word, and over time this feature will be expanding to the remaining native Word applications.
Skype for Business
– allows you to IM, screen share, talk or video chat right in your docs. You can eliminate the need to email back and forth on a project by using Skype to start a real-time co-authoring session from any conversation or meeting.
Office 365 Groups
– a feature that allows you to keep teams connected through Outlook 2016 and a new Outlook groups app on iOS, Android and Windows Phone. Allows for the creation of public or private teams. Groups will share an inbox, calendar, cloud storage for files and a shared OneNote notebook to keep tasks organized and moving forward.
Made to Get Things Done
Office 2016 is built with the end-user in mind, which means it cuts through the complexity of all of the apps, tools and devices available today and instead focuses on helping you get things done quickly. The highlights include:
– the smartest Inbox yet, with lightning fast search, a Clutter folder to re-direct low priority mail automatically, and making sure all email recipients have the right access to modern, Cloud-based attachments from OneDrive.
– a tool that helps you easily and quickly find the Office feature or command that you need to get something done
– bringing insights from the web right into your documents
– now includes integrated publishing to Power BI and offers new modern chart types to make the most of your data and the look of your presentations.
– A cloud-powered “most recently used” documents lists will pick up right where you left off no matter what device or apps you are working in…it travels with you.
Microsoft Office 2016 – Perfect with Windows 10
While Office 2016 is available for Mac, it’s no surprise that the recommended “home” for these native applications is Windows 10. When used together, Office 365 and Windows 10 give you:
– sign into your PC and Office 365 with a touch or a look – no need to type in a password
– when used on your Windows phone, Continuum allows your phone to act as your desktop so that you can project, create or edit your presentation from your phone to a monitor. And at the same time you can take notes with the OneNote app.
Sway on Windows 10
– a late summer release, Sway takes your content and creates beautiful, shareable, interactive stories that translate on any screen. It has been called “fantastic”, “brilliant” and “elegant” by reviewers and has received a 4.6/5 app store ranking.
Office Mobile apps on Windows 10
– get the Office products you rely on in fast, touch-friendly and easy-to-use form that make them a great tool for staying productive while you are on-the-go.
The Most Secure Office Yet
Office 2016 include built-in Data Loss Prevention (DLP) by giving IT admins the tools to be able to centrally create, manage and enforce policies for content authoring and document sharing. Multifactor Authentication also ensures secure access to data when employees are working remotely.
Office 2016 for Mac.
Office 2016 for Mac
was released in July and has been well-received. The new versions of Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook and OneNote took a big step forward, providing Mac users with the best of both worlds – a familiar Office experience on the Mac platform they prefer.
New Day, New Capabilities
Microsoft is applying the same process to Office that they did with Windows 10…releasing new value and updates on a regular basis instead of holding them back for the next major release. So Office 365 customers can now look forward to new features and capabilities being delivered continuously as part of their subscription.
How to Get Office 2016
With an Office 365 Subscription:
If you have an Office 365 Home, Personal or University subscription, you can install the new Office 2016 version on your PC at any time. Doing so will remove all Office 2013 software.
To complete the install follow these steps:
Without an Office 365 Subscription:
- Login to the office 365 portal at http://login.microsoftonline.com using your email address as your username and your email password.
- Click the Gear in the top right hand corner -> Office 365 Settings.
- Go down to Software
- Scroll down under “Try the next version of Office” and click Install.**Note – this will only upgrade if you are using the existing office 365 version. If you have Volume licensing installed, manually uninstall that first, then go through the same settings to install the new.
If you currently have Office 2013 or an older version that was a one-time purchase, you cannot upgrade to Office 2016. To get this you can purchase an Office 365 subscription or purchase Office 2016 itself in either the Home or Student version.
If you are interested in Office 365 for Business, check out the details here
. Corsica Tech can help you to migrate to Office 365, which offers the advantage of cloud-based email (eliminating the need for a dedicated email server), online storage for backups and the mobility that everyone wants from their business tools.
Relax. We’ve Got I.T.
Corsica Technologies understands that you need to run your business, not the IT that powers it. Whether it’s partnering with you to evaluate Cloud-based technologies like Office 365, protecting your network, or proactively managing the overall health of your IT environment, Corsica’s experts will provide you with the peace of mind that it’s covered.
Give us a call today at 877-367-9348 or email us at email@example.com
to find out what Corsica can do for you.